Sunday, May 4, 2008

Do we need proof?

My sister in law Jessica just posted a milestone her business just had. She has had her own business for 4 years now. An anniversary of some kind. That got me thinking. I am not good with words and so I never write very much; except today. Here is a thought from Crystalyn.

I am a 30 year old female. I do not have a college degree. I had my first child at age 22. I did not go on a mission. I have never been outside the United States. I got married at 19, one month from being 20. I'm a stay at home mom. There has been lots of people all my life telling me my opinion doesn't mean much.

Why have I had to demand the respect of the people in this world? Now realize my world is mostly Mormons too. Here are 5 true examples that happened in my life. I know all of you can relate.
1. I got reprehended in the nursing lounge at church by a women for having a child too young.
2. When telling my opinion or thoughts I got cut off, with the statement, "I want to hear what Aaron has to say."
3. Most the men in my life don't think I can drive. Yet I have a better driving record and lower insurance payment then them.
4. When walking onto a basketball court I must prove to them I can play before they pass me the ball.
5. When doing a home improvement and no one thought I could do it.

SO HERE IS MY ANSWER...
I came up with my answer because I bet I am guilty of doing those same things to someone else. I bet I made someone fell in ad acquit without knowing it.

Someone's opinion is worth more after they have some experience. I think we all need proof. You can talk the talk but can you walk the walk. Prove it.

I was getting my hair cut and the stylist's friend was telling my stylist's about her problem getting a loan for a house. I gave her my opinion and she didn't respond to me. She kept talking to her. I didn't think anything of it, but later she said something else and I new a great solution. So I told her again what I thought. My stylist then asked me how I new all that. I told her how I am trying to purchase my second house without any loan officers. She and her friend then stop and stared at me, waiting for my next sentence. That day was different in my life, my opinion was worth something.

Do we need proof or should we all listen more?

3 comments:

Alice said...

I definitely think we all need to LISTEN MORE. All of us have so much to add and contribute if we would just shut our mouths and listen for a minute. Seriously, I am surprised what I can learn from others sometimes.

I too am often treated like I don't know what I am talking about, since I am "SO YOUNG" and all. It is so frustrating! Truth be told, maybe I don't always know what the heck I am doing, but why can't I been given enough respect to at least be heard? Funny when I finally am given a chance, they act surprised that something coherent or valuable came out of my mouth? UGH!

I am sorry people don't give you more credit. You deserve it in my eyes my friend.

Lena said...

I agree with Alice- we should all listen more! Yes, you shouldn't trust everything people say and take it all on faith- that would be silly. But it doesn't hurt to give people a chance and if people want to try something- they should be able to without any rude comments from others. I had to stand up to Peter's parents once because of this very thing. He is the 8th child of 9 and the last boy- his mama's baby. They babied him SO much when he was growing up because he was often sick and small for his age (no more! 6'1" and 200lbs, lol) We were at their house for dinner and talking about how we wanted to refinish our kitchen cabinets. They just dove in and discouraged Peter talking about how hard it was and how much time it would take and how he doesn't know how to do it, blah blah BLAH! I just stood up and told them that they are his PARENTS and should be encouraging him to succeed and it was a good thing that he wanted to try and to stop it!! I think they did respect me a little bit more after that. We didn't end up doing the cabinets because we moved away from them so we could spread our wings a bit more without all the stress. All the way to Texas!

Becky said...

Clap, clap, clap. You are an amazing woman. Thank you for those wonderful thoughts. We all have hidden talents and experience that others don't know about. Thanks for sharing.